Given the hectic schedules of most people these days, oftentimes planning a home-cooked meal isn’t always at the forefront. There’s the list making, the grocery shopping, and then, after a long day at the office, the hours spent slaving away in the kitchen, when all you really want to do is order Chinese take-out and put your feet up. That is, until the one-pot wonder came along. The idea that throwing in four or five ingredients into a single space over time could eventually form a completed meal is seemingly brilliant. The one-pot or one-pan meal works even better when ingredients are used whose flavors are complementary to one another. Enter, chicken and peppers.
Historically and still to this day, it’s always been sausage and peppers. Those two go together like milk and cookies – it just works. However, given a few additions and one major substitution, the original Italian staple is getting a makeover. Chicken, peppers, potatoes and balsamic vinegar when combined in one very hot pan, stewed over a flame, ultimately come together to form a comfort-filled, soul-warming dish. Throw in some fresh herbsÂ and you are left with a dish that was not only simple to create, but full of flavor and low in fat as well.
Though the cooking time on this dish is a bit longer than most, the prep and clean up are very minimal, as is the ingredient list, making it even easier to whip up a quick side dish of garlic bread. Because, really, what else would you use to sop up the vinegary, herb-tastic mess left over on your almost empty plate?
For more easy recipes, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)
Stewed Chicken With Potatoes and Peppers and Garlic Bread Recipe
|Calories:||460 for the chicken, 150 for the garlic bread per serving|
|Prep Time:||20 mins|
|Cook Time:||1 hour|
|Total Time:||1 hour 20 mins|
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic(2 cloves)
- 1 yellow onion, sliced (based on preference, you could mince the onion)
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 -2 tsp rosemary(or more, to taste)
- 4 (6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar(during the cooking process, you will add 1/2 cup more)
- 1 lb red potatoes, quartered
- 1 loaf Italian bread, sliced
- Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp (or more) parmesan cheese
Stewed Chicken with Potatoes and Peppers
1. In a large pan, over medium heat, saute the minced garlic in the extra-virgin olive oil until lightly browned.
2. Dry the chicken pieces with paper towels and generously season them with salt and peppers, adding them one at a time to the pan, until browned and cooked evenly through. Add the minced onions and continue to stir through, till onions have begun to brown as well.
3. Cut the potatoes into quarters, season them generously with salt, pepper and rosemary and add them to the pan, continuously mixing together.
4. Combine equal amounts of vinegar and water (1 - 2 cups), add both to the pan and cover with a lid and cook over medium heat for about an hour. The vinegar mixture should cover the chicken by about an inch - at this point, if need be, add more vinegar. Thirty minutes into the process, add the green peppers and stir.
5. In between that hour, open the lid to stir the mixture every once in a while, making sure the potatoes are becoming tender, and chicken is browning. Once the chicken is cooked and no longer pink in the middle, you are ready to serve and enjoy alongside some garlic bread (recipe below).
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Spread each slice of bread with butter, garlic and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese
3. Place the bread slices, crusts down, on a medium sized baking sheet and place in the oven for 7-10 minutes (or until lightly browned - once you smell the garlic and cheese sifting from the oven, it should be about finished).