Strawberries in desserts are expected (and delicious) but it’s when we mix our sweets with our savories that things start to get really interesting. In the past, I’ve had great success pairing strawberries with basil and separately, with balsamic…but what about all three together? If this grilled cheese is any indication, then they are a trio made in heaven. The syrupy, almost sweet tangy vinegar is perfect for really bringing the berries and herbs together, while the brie unites them in sandwich unity, making each bite more exciting than the last.
Adapted from BS’ in the Kitchen
For more Meatless Monday recipes:
Strawberry, Balsamic Basil Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 1 loaf French bread (I used a walnut boule)
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 12 basil leaves
- 4-6 oz. brie
- 8 tsp. mosto cotto or reduced balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Take two slices of bread per sandwich and distribute strawberries, basil and brie evenly onto one slice. Drizzle with mosto cotto or reduced balsamic vinegar. Top with second slice of bread.
3. Place sandwiches on a parchment-lined baking sheet and put in the oven for 8-10 minutes total, flipping halfway through.