It’s nearing the end of summer, but don’t tell that to the weather. It’s been really hot outside these days and sometimes you might just want to stay inside. But since it’s August, we should really try to make the most of the summer days we have left. Having an outdoor picnic is a great way to soak up the sun and enjoy the outdoors. Make sure you pack a light lunch to help you stay cool. Try to stay away from anything too heavy and take advantage of what’s in season.
This recipe is a perfect light dish that can be prepared ahead of time and requires very little cleanup. Because you use lettuce as a wrap, you won’t need any plates and you’ll be able to keep your outdoor eating space nice and clean. This recipe calls for Bibb lettuce, which is great in the summer since it’s so light, but you could substitute it for another large leafed lettuce if you wanted.
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce
- 1lb shrimp
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 to 4 ripe plum or beefsteak tomatoes, chopped into 1/2 in cubes
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 or 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and black ground pepper, to taste
1. Pan fry the shrimp over medium heat in a bit of oil until bright pink, about 3 to 4 minutes. If shells or tail are on, remove from shrimps and chop into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside to cool.
2. Pull lettuce leaves from head and wash leaves. The leaves will act as wraps for the shrimp, so keep the whole and as large as possible.
3. In a bowl, combine the onion, tomatoes, mango, jalapeno peppers (if desired), lime juice, olive oil, cilantro and salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add the cooled shrimp pieces to the mango salsa and combine well. Let mixture sit to marinate.
5. When ready to eat, assemble wrap by scooping a serving of shrimp and mango salsa mixture into pieces of lettuce and wrap up.