BYÂ EMMA HABERMAN
It’s five days away, but preparations for Super Bowl Sunday are well under way. Patriots fans are preparing for the long awaited rematch, Giants fans are preparing their best Tom Brady insults, and home cooks all over the country are preparing their best game day snacks to soften what is bound to be an intense match up.
It wouldn’t be the Super Bowl without buffalo chicken wings. This year, in the name of originality, I’m taking a little creative license by making potstickers filled with buffalo chicken and dipping them in a classic blue cheese sauce. I’m a firm believer in the power of dumplings in any form, and these hot pockets are no exception.
Each pouch bursts with juicy buffalo flavor, and is balanced by the cooling tang of blue cheese sauce. No matter what the outcome of the big game, you’ll be a winner at your Super Bowl party. And if not? More dumplings for you.
24 round dumpling wrappers
3/4 pound ground chicken
1 red onion, diced
4 tablespoons hot sauce
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup Maytag blue cheese, crumbled
1 cup sour cream
Small bunch of chives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200Â°.
- Mix the chicken, onions, hot sauce and salt and pepper to taste together in a bowl. Place approximately 1 teaspoon of the filling onto 1 dumpling wrapper, covering the remaining wrappers with a damp cloth. Wet both side of the wrapper and press together, forming a semi-circle. Fold the edges of the wrapper together, creating a scallop effect to seal in the filling. Set on a sheet pan and cover with a damp cloth. Repeat until all the filling is gone.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add 6-8 potstickers at a time to the pan and cook for 2 minutes until the bottoms are crispy and golden. Gently add 1/3 cup chicken broth to the pan, cover and steam on low heat for 2 more minutes until the meat is cooked through.
- Meanwhile, mix the blue cheese, sour cream, chives, salt and pepper together. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The dipping sauce can be made a day in advance.
- After the first batch of potstickers is finished, place them in the oven to keep them warm. Repeat with remaining potstickers until all are cooked. Serve with blue cheese dipping sauce.
You can follow Emma on Twitter (@habermania)
Photos: Emma Haberman
To read more tips and recipes from Emma, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)