Sometimes your taste buds want to sit down to a creamy dreamy pasta dinner. But your arteries don’t. I understand.
That’s where this sweet potato cream sauce comes in to save the day. It is made without even a single drop of heavy cream, using mashed sweet potato instead to thicken it and give it that great Alfredo-like texture. Total comfort food that your whole body can feel good about.
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
Joanne Bruno is a food writer and fourth year MD/PhD student. Find more of delicious ramblings over at her blog: Eats Well With Others.
Sweet Potato Cream Pasta with Kale Recipe
|Calories:||550 per serving|
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cook Time:||15 minutes|
|Total Time:||25 minutes|
- 1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb whole wheat linguine
- 1 bunch kale, leaves torn from the stems
- salt and black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil and butter over medium-low heat in a large skillet. Add in the shallots and garlic with a pinch of salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Increase the heat to medium and add in the flour, whisking constantly to create a roux. Once the roux has turned golden, add in the mashed sweet potatoes and milk. Whisk to combine. Let the mixture come to a simmer so that it will thicken a bit. Reduce heat to low and stir in parmesan cheese, adding salt and pepper to taste.
2. Cook the pasta according to package directions, tossing in the kale leaves in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain pasta and kale, Toss to combine with the sweet potato cream sauce.