Craving something chocolatey or perhaps a cream-filled doughnut?
Here are the recipes for the last course of the DNC Dinner in honor of President Obama: Sweet Potato Doughnuts and Brandied Chocolate Cakes. And don’t forget to check out the video of the recipe in action in the Red Rooster kitchen!
Check out the video of the dessert created for President Barack Obama here.
- 1/2 tbsp (10 g) active dry yeast
- 11.8 oz (350 ml) water
- 16 oz (500 g) all-purpose flour
- .64 oz (20 g) salt
- 17.6 oz (550 g) all-purpose flour
- 40 g dry yeast
- 3.3 oz (100 ml) milk
- 4.1 oz (130 g) sugar
- 3.8 oz (120 g) butter
- 6.7 oz (200 ml) egg yolks
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 quart milk
- 10.5 oz yolks
- 8 oz sugar
- 2.5 oz cornstarch
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder, plus for coating muffin tin
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups + 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 12 oz (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted and kept warm, plus for greasing muffin tin
- 6 oz 55% Chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup brandied cherries, plus more for serving
- Vanilla ice cream , for serving
Make the Doughnuts:
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the ingredients for the sponge and mix well to incorporate. Cover and place inside the refrigerator to let bloom overnight.
2. In a small bowl, combine the salt, flour, and yeast. Add the dry ingredients and the butter to the sponge and mix on low speed to incorporate.
3. Add in the egg yolks one at a time, and mix on low speed to incorporate.
4. Add the milk and mix on low speed to incorporate until just combined.
5. Cover the bowl and let the dough rest until doubled in size.
6. Meanwhile, make the Sweet Potato Pastry Cream Filling, recipe follows.
7. Punch down the dough and let rise again for 45 minutes.
8. Fill a large pan with 2 inches of vegetable oil and heat until 350 degrees F.
9. Roll out the dough until 3/4-inch thick. Cut the dough with a 1-inch round cutter.
10. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and put in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
11. Fry the doughnuts until cooked through and dark golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
12. Roll the cooked doughnuts in the cinnamon sugar and fill with Sweet Potato Pastry Cream Filling. Cut a small amount
Make the Sweet-Potato Pastry Cream Filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Cut the sweet potato into 1-inch cubes. Toss with the honey, ginger, clove, and cinnamon and cook until fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
2. When cooked, puree the sweet potato. Set aside.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch and whisk to combine until pale yellow. Set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
5. Temper the egg yolk mixture by slowly pouring in some of the milk while whisking constantly. Keep adding milk to warm the egg yolk mixture. Return the egg yolk and milk mixture to the pot and stir over low heat until the mixture thickens to the consistency of pudding.
6. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and cool in an ice bath.
7. When cool, fold in the sweet potato puree.
Make the Brandied Cherry Chocolate Cakes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin and dust with cocoa. Tap out any excess and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt together. Set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the eggs and sugar and mix on low speed to combine. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the vanilla to the eggs, and switch to the paddle attachment.
5. Add the dry ingredients and butter, alternating in three additions.
6. Fold in the chocolate and cherries.
7. Divide between the muffin tin cups equally.
8. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
9. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer cakes to a wire rack.
Serve with vanilla ice cream and extra brandied cherries.