This recipe, inspired by authentic ingredients from a market in Thailand, features an intoxicating green curry paste,used in a hearty, spicy meal of green curry shrimp served over fragrant jasmine rice. There is no comparison between jarred green curry and the homemade version.
The shortcut is tempting, but the second your kitchen is filled with the aroma of green chilies, coriander, ginger and lime, the jarred stuff will be the furthest thing from your mind. Plus, curry paste keeps forever in the freezer and you can cut off chunks as you need it, whether it be for a full-fledged meal or just as a topper for some steamed rice. Almost all of the ingredients can be found at the Chelsea Market here in the city, but there is also ImportFood.com for hard-to-find items.
Photos by Laura Ratliff
Laura Ratliff and Ryan Smith are the authors of Smith & Ratliff, a New York City-based lifestyle blog. They write about food, cocktails, art, style and life in New York City. Follow them on Twitter: @smithratliff
Thai Green Curry Shrimp Recipe
|Calories:||340 per serving|
- 2 tsbp. oil
- 2 c.diced eggplant
- 1/2 c.chopped white onion
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 to 4 tsbp.green curry paste, depending on desired degree of heat
- 6 Kaffir lime leaves (or lime zest)
- 1 14-oz.can baby corn
- 2 tsbp.Thai fish sauce
- 1 14-oz.can coconut milk
- 1 c.shrimp stock
- 1 1/2 lbs.shrimp
- 1/4 c.chopped Thai basil (or blend of Italian basil and mint)
- 1/4 tsp.salt
1. In wok or large sauté pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add eggplant and onions and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the curry paste and stir until fragrant. Add lime leaves and fish sauce and stir 15 seconds.
3. Add the coconut milk and shrimp stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until thickened 3 minutes.
4. Add shrimp and cook until pink, about 2 minutes. Season with salt, adjusting seasonings as needed.
5. Stir in basil, baby corn, and remove from heat. Garnish with basil or chiles and serve with steamed jasmine rice.