For extra brightness with my Harissa-Roasted Turkey Breast, I serve this Beet-Ginger Chutney from Soul of a New Cuisine. It’s vibrant color and tangy flavor will enliven your Thanksgiving table. You can make it ahead of time to take pressure off Thursday, so you can enjoy your family and friends.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Two 3-inch pieces ginger, peeled and sliced
- 4 beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. Heat the oil in a large deep saute pan over high heat. Add the shallots, garlic, ginger, and beets, reduce the heat to low, and saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the honey, cardamom, thyme, sugar, and spiced butter and stir over low heat for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer until beets are tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
3. Remove the cardamom, thyme, and ginger from the chutney and stir in the salt. Let cool.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.