You may have heard of the popular “master cleanse,” which combines lemon juice, maple syrup, and cayenne pepper for a regimen of detox. After working on a story about Maple syrup, the staff at Saveur found themselves with a plethora of maple syrup. After a handle of Knob Creek’s new Single Barrel Reserve arrived in the office, it was simply a matter of time before the two combined in a rocks glass. Behold The Retox, an alcoholic version of the popular cleanse.
Courtesy of Saveur.com
“The Retox” Cocktail Recipe
- 6 oz bourbon, such as Knob Creek Single-Barrel Reserve
- 2 tbsp medium maple syrup
- 2 tsp extra light maple syrup
- 2 droppersful of maple bitters
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbsp maple sugar
- seltzer, to fill
1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Mix the first five ingredients with the ice in the shaker. Mix the cayenne and maple sugar in a bowl, and pour the contents onto a dessert plate, spreading them out in a wide circle.
2. Wet the rim of a rocks glass; roll the rim in the cayenne mixture to coat. Fill the glass halfway with ice. Strain 1/3 of the bourbon mixture into the glass, and top it off with soda water. Stir.
3. Repeat for two more drinks.