Preparing for Hurricane Irene took as much time as getting ready for prom (and ended up being equally as expensive. Apparently, the early bird gets the cheap water and better hummus.) These tacos are like a fiesta on a plate! Vegetarians and meat-eaters alike can rejoice in the fulfilling texture and flavor of the tofu paired with the tangy slaw. Flavored with lime and cumin, they taste bright, light, and refreshing; which is just what you need when you realize that your one night fling with Ms. Irene is not going to end with slightly blistered feet from hours of dancing, but rather with power outages and broken windows. Pass me another tortilla, we’re going to need it.
Tofu Tacos with Spicy Cabbage Slaw Recipe
|Calories:||350 per serving|
|Prep Time:||10 min|
|Cook Time:||20 min|
|Total Time:||30 min|
- 2 packages firm tofu
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 2 tbsp vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
- pinch of sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tsp green tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 head green cabbage , shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup cilantro, minced
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado , thinly sliced
1) Preheat oven to 400. Remove the tofu from the containers and press to remove as much liquid as possible. Cut into strips. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, peanut oil, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, cumin, black pepper, and sugar. Toss tofu strips with the marinade. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, turning once midway through. Set aside.
2) Whisk together the Greek yogurt, buttermilk, lime juice, Tabasco sauce, and salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage, carrots, and cilantro. Toss the Greek yogurt/buttermilk dressing with the cabbage mix until evenly distributed. Taste for salt.
3) Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook tortillas for 15 seconds on each side. Assemble tacos by topping each tortilla with a spoonful of slaw, two tofu sticks and an avocado slice.