Nervous about the arrival of a chilly fall? Make it a chili fall! Summer and sunshine are all well and good, but I’ve been secretly waiting for crisp autumn to settle in. Sure it was hard to say goodbye to flip flops, barbecues, and fresh corn, but their departure makes room for cozy sweaters, tailgates and chili. As the temperature drops and the days shorten, chili is comfort in a bowl. Warm, hearty, full of flavor and spice…it just doesn’t get much better than a steaming bowl of chili on an October afternoon.
This chili is made with lean turkey meat which nicely takes on the flavor of the spicy jalapeños and smoky Chipotles. The sweet potato balances the spice for those who prefer milder heat. Guinness, which, by the way, is also a great secret ingredient for rich brisket and chocolate cake, adds a hint of rich chocolate and coffee (and a delicious smell as it simmers). This big blend of flavors is easily made by slow simmering on the stovetop, leaving you free to enjoy the autumn breeze…and maybe sample an extra bottle of Guinness.
To read more tips and recipes from Emma, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 fresh beefsteak tomatoes, roughly diced
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped
- 1 Chipotle pepper
- 11/2 tbsp of the sauce from the Chipotle pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 bottle of Guinness or other stout beer
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a large pot. Add the onions, garlic and turkey and cook until onions are transparent and turkey is browned on all sides, but not cooked through.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender and the liquid has thickened. If the liquid does not look thick enough, continue to simmer uncovered for 10 more minutes.
3. Serve with your favorite combination of shredded cheddar, sour cream, Greek yogurt and chopped scallions.