BYÂ AINE CARLIN
A truly yummy and versatile pumpkin butter – this baby can be spread on toast, dolloped on vegan yogurt, porridge, or even licked straight off a spoon, you decide.
This recipe is almost too easy – I was waiting for the catch, fearing I’d missed out a crucial ingredient or step but no, this really is it. I must admit it’s a heck of a lot less stressful than making jam and in my opinion, more scrumptious and certainly more autumnal. All those gorgeous spices and silky smooth pumpkin puree make for one fabulously tasty spread.
You must make this!
Makes one large jar
1 cupÂ pumpkin puree
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 cup sweet freedom sweetener or agave nectar
2 tbsp date syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp coriander
- Put all the ingredients into a saucepan and mix thoroughly.
- Simmer the mixture on a low heat until it thickens ensuring to stir it constantly to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- It should take approx 20-30 minutes to thicken.
- Meanwhile, sterilize a jar by washing it in very hot soapy water, rinse thoroughly and dry in a low oven for about 15 minutes. In the last 5 minutes put the lid in the oven.
- When the butter has sufficiently thickened transfer to the jar and screw the lid on immediately. Allow to cool for at least a day before using or giving it away.
- Spread on toast, dollop in vegan yogurt or porridge (oatmeal), use as a sweet dip, or eat straight from the jar.
Photos: Aine Carlin
Aine Carlin is a vegan blogger who specializes in vegan recipes. She also has a keen interest in vegan fashion and is currently training to be a stylist where she hopes to promote cruelty free clothing and beauty. You can find more of her vegan recipes and vegan friendly fashion over atÂ www.peasoupeats.com
For more great recipes from Aine, be sure to follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)