By:Â Michele Wolfson
This recipe will not just win over a vegetarian- it will win over everyone. Melt-in-your-mouth truffles are irresistible and easy to make! These delectable truffles are the perfect handmade gift to present to your loved one this holiday.
A good way to jazz up this Valentine’s Day even more is to sip on a flavored liqueur, such as Chambord, Frangelico, or Kahlaºa along with your chocolate truffles. An after-dinner drink and some vegan truffles are the perfect way to end a vegetarian Valentine’s Day meal.
Click here for a great Homemade Kahlua Recipe.
Vegan Chocolate Truffles: Recipe
Yield: 16 – teaspoon size truffles
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 TBS coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
pinch sea salt
8 oz good quality/fair trade bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped or ground
Truffle Garnishes: (Place each on small separate plates)
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup dried coconut
2 teaspoons dried chili powder with 1 Tablespoon of sugar
Or any combo you like.
- Â Line 1 standard size sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small pot, combine coconut milk, coconut oil, cinnamon, extract and salt. Heat on a low flame until mixture comes to a boil.
- Place ground chocolate in a medium size bowl. Pour the mixture in the pot over the chocolate and let it sit for 2-3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, blend ingredients together without any lumps.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Use a small spoon to scoop out a small amount of the mixture. Quickly roll into any of your toppings plates.
- Place truffles on a baking sheet. Place in the refrigerator and allow them to firm up. Serve chilled.
Photos: Michele Wolfson
Michele Wolfson is a graduate of The Natural Gourmet Institute and is passionate about all areas of food, from writing about it, to photographing, growing, cooking, and consuming it. A vegetarian since she was seven years old, Michele knows the ins and outs of enjoying a healthy vegetarian lifestyle in Manhattan, which she writes about for Examiner.comÂ as itsÂ Manhattan Vegetarian Examiner.
For more on Valentine’s Day, follow me on Twitter (@MarcusCooks)