Warm salads fortify the soul when temperatures drop below freezing. This combination of lean beef and crisp peas is a healthy and easy dinner option. The spicy, savory vinagrette on top is one of my favorites. Later in the week, you can use any leftover lettuce for a side salad-just drizzle on more of that delicious dressing.
Warm Beef and Pea Salad Recipe
- 1 cup snow peas, cut in half
- One 1 1/2 -lb hanger steak, at room temperature
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 Scotch bonnet chile, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- One 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp dark miso
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tbsp scallions, white and light green parts, chopped
- 2 cups shredded Boston lettuce(1 head)
1. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a small pot. Add the snow peas and simer for 20 seconds. Strain and set aside.
2. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saute pan over high heat. Add the steak and sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice the meat against the grain.
3. To make the vinaigrette, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium pan over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, garlic, chile, and ginger and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the sesame oil, sesame seeds, miso, sugar, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir well. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the snow peas and cook until heated through.
4. To serve, arrange the steak in a single layer on a platter. Drizzle with the warm vinaigrette and sprinkle with the scallions and lettuce.