Some days, when you spend an entire day at work without stepping out for fresh air, dinner just calls for a big bowl of color. After all, there’s something a bit comforting about eating a rainbow, don’t you think?
This yellow rice salad with roasted red peppers and spicy black beans definitely delivers on that front. The rice is turned yellow from a turmeric and cumin infusion, and is then seasoned with a smoky citrus-infused dressing. Meanwhile, the roasted red pepper, green bell pepper and black bean salsa on top gives fresh flavor as well as even more bursts of color. It’s comfort food with a healthy, vibrant twist.
Joanne Bruno is a food writer and fourth year MD/PhD student. Find more delicious ramblings over at her blog: Eats Well with Others
For more Meatless Monday articles from Joanne Bruno:
Adapted from The Bon Appetit Cookbook
Yellow Rice Salad with Red Peppers and Spicy Black Beans Recipe
|Calories:||285 per serving|
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 ramps, thinly sliced
- 8 oz dried black beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
1. Preheat the broiler. Cut peppers into 4 pieces (one for each side), removing the core and any seeds. Place on a foil-lined baking and sheet and broil until totally blackened. Place in a ziploc bag and seal shut for 10 minutes. Remove skin and then chop.
2. Meanwhile, stir 3 tsp cumin into a small dry skillet over medium heat until just fragrant, 1 minute. Remove from the heat and whisk the lime juice and oil into the skillet. Set aside.
3. Stir the turmeric and remaining cumin into a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, 1 minute. Add two cups water, rice and salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Leave covered with the heat turned off for 5 minutes. Mix ramps and half of the dressing into the rice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Toss together the black beans, roasted red pepper, green bell pepper, cilantro, chipotles, and remaining dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Serve rice topped with black bean mixture.