I like to bathe my pasta salads in a sea of green. There is no hue too verdant, no amount of vegetables or herbs too many, so that every bite tastes like it’s fresh from the garden. Lush, vibrant, and life-affirming in a way. This pasta salad is the epitome of that, pairing the unlikely combination of zucchini and edamame, tossing them with strozzapreti (or any short tubular pasta you can get your hands on), and smothering them in a brightly flavored basil parsley puree.
A bit of buffalo mozzarella is added for richness, but the overall flavor profile is crisp, refreshing and oh-so-satisfying. It is the perfect accompaniment to any summer meal although it can also be served on its own as a main, especially when you inevitably eat so much of it, it becomes its own course.
Joanne Bruno is a food writer and third year MD/PhD student. Find more of her delicious ramblings over at her blog: Eats Well With Others.
Zucchini, Edamame & Mozzarella Pasta Recipe
|Calories:||400 per serving|
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cook Time:||30 minutes|
|Total Time:||40 minutes|
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium zucchini cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup frozen edamame
- 1 cup basil shredded coarsely
- 1/4 cup parsley
- salt and black pepper
- 8 oz strozzapreti or penne
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons capers
- 7 oz buffalo mozzarella, torn by hand into chunks
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and cook through, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and pour the vinegar over them. Stir and then set aside
2. Blanch the edamame for 3 minutes in the boiling water. Using a slotted spoon, remove edamame to a bowl
3. Combine the basil, parsley, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a food processor, adding a bit of salt and pepper. Process until smooth
4. Cook the pasta until al dente. Toss with the zucchini, edamame, basil sauce, lemon zest, capers and mozzarella. Stir gently together. Season to taste with salt and pepper