Origins: Citrus is believed to have originated in Southeast Asia. It was first brought to North America by Christopher Columbus as a way to rid sailors of the vitamin deficiency, scurvy.
Varieties: The best known varieties of citrus fruits are oranges, lemons, and limes. Here are some other sub-categories:
- Satsumas – easy to peel, tangy and sweet, seedless
- Meyer Lemons - sweet, cross between a regular lemon and an orange
- Blood Oranges - juicy and sweet with bright red flesh
- Tangerines – intense flavor, sweet and slightly tart
- Clementines – exceptionally sweet and juicy
- Navels - seedless, exceptionally sweet, easy to peel
Peak Season: Although lemons and limes are available all year round, peak citrus fruit season is during the winter months.
Nutritional Value: Citrus is high in vitamin C, folate, potassium, and phytochemicals – naturally occurring chemicals found in plants that may aid in the prevention of cancer and heart disease.