My good friend and chef Chris Cosentino made a version of these for me when I visited him at his restaurant Incanto in San Francisco. It was so warm, delicious and thoughtful, it was like a hug from his kitchen.
Berbere Roasted Carrots and Fennel with Orange Slices Recipe
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 fennel bulbs, cut horizontally into ⅓-inch thick slices, fronds reserved
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp. berbere spice
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- ¼ cup freshly chopped mint
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toss carrots and fennel with olive oil, salt, pepper and berbere until well coated. Place on foil-lined baking sheet or roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes. Turn vegetables and roast for 5-10 minutes more, or until a knife slides easily through.
2. Remove from oven and let cool before adding in orange segments and chopped mint.