The key trick here is not to over mix. Even the best gravy can’t mask a gluey texture.
Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
- ½ tsp. freshly grated horseradish
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ½ cup buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Peel and quarter the potatoes. In a large pot, cover the potatoes with salted cold water and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Peel and chop the carrots, reserve. Then, peel and slice the apples, set aside. Grate the fresh horseradish and set aside. In a second large pot, add the carrots and apples and cover with salted cold water and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
3, While the potatoes, apples and carrots cook, thinly slice the garlic, onion and shallots. Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Combine garlic, onion, shallots, vinegar and honey. Add the mixture to the saucepan over medium-low heat and simmer until the onions and shallots are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Drain the potatoes, carrots and apples, then transfer them to a mixing bowl and coarsely mash the mixture with a fork or potato masher. Stir in the horseradish and shallot mixture. Stir in buttermilk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.