Meyer lemon season is short-lived, but highly anticipated. Meyer lemons are available from November-March, and are prized by chefs for their sweet and bright flavor.
A member of the citrus family, meyer lemons are a cross between regular lemons and mandarin oranges. They are a wonderful substitute for regular lemons in most recipes by adding the burst of lemon flavor without the bite or high level of acidity. This meyer lemon salsa is a great compliment to yogurt marinated chicken, but would also be delicious with scallops or pork.
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit
More recipes from Kendall Kish we love:
Chicken Thighs with Meyer Lemon Salsa
|Calories:||272 per serving|
|Prep Time:||20 min plus 1 hr marinating|
|Total Time:||1 hr 45 min|
- 3 Meyer lemons
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 scallions sliced thinly, 1 tblsp set aside
- 1 jalapeno pepper , finely chopped
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper
- 4 chicken thighs , bone-in, skinless
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds lightly toasted and ground
- 1 tsp tumeric
1. Using a pairing knife, cut all peel and white pith from lemons; discard. Working over a small bowl, cut between membranes to release segments into bowl; squeeze in juice from membranes and discard membranes. Strain juice into another bowl.
2. Combine segments, 1 Tbsp. strained lemon juice (reserve remaining juice for another use), cucumber, 2 Tbsp. scallions, and chile in a small bowl; mix well. Stir in sugar; season salsa with salt and set aside.
3. Place chicken in a dish and season with salt and pepper. In a mini-processor or blender, purée 1/4 cup cilantro, yogurt, vegetable oil, garlic, coriander, and turmeric. Pour marinade over chicken; toss to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes, or 1 hour in the refrigerator.
4. Preheat broiler. Place chicken onto a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil, watching closely to prevent burning, until browned, about 10-12 minutes. Turn the oven to 350 degrees and finish cooking in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Transfer chicken to plates. Spoon Meyer lemon salsa over chicken. Garnish with remaining 1 Tbsp. scallions.