This dish is a Red Rooster favorite. If you can’t make it in, try it at home!
Dirty Rice and Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 2 tablespoons red mustard seed
- 3 cups fresh curry leaves
- 2 Indian cinnamon sticks
- 4 fresh (or dry) bay leaves
- 2 quarts brown basmati rice
- 4 quarts lobster stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 36 jumbo shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 1 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons marinade, separated
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 16 red bird's-eye chilies, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup olive oil
For the rice, heat mustard oil to smoking. Add seeds and sauté until they pop then stir in cinnamon sticks, curry leaves and bay leaves. Pour in lobster stock and tomato paste, then bring to a boil. Meanwhile, rinse rice until water runs clear then let drain. Pour rice into liquid and return to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer, 7-10 minutes. Cover, remove from heat and let steam until liquid is completely absorbed.
To make the shrimp, toss the shrimp with 1 1/2 cup of the marinade in a large bowl. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on each side, or until opaque throughout. Sprinkle with salt.
For the marinade, combine the chilies, lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, and garlic in a blender and puree until smooth. With the blender running add the oil in a slow, steady stream and bland until well combined. Store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.