When turning on your oven is absolutely the last thing you want to do for fear that even the slightest change in ambient temperature will cause you to spontaneously combust, easy meals like sandwiches are key. You can get bored of the stereotypical sandwich options pretty quickly, though, which is where this egg sandwich with green bean slaw comes in. The slaw, which is probably my favorite part of this sandwich, consists of shaved green beans, red onion, radishes, and spicy olives; all dressed in a tangy, salty, creamy feta dressing. Serve with a sliced hard boiled egg for some extra protein and you’ll have yourself a sandwich worth getting excited about, even when the current heat wave seems like it’s too much to bear.
Adapted from Bon Appétit
Joanne Bruno is a food writer and fourth year MD/PhD student. Find more of delicious ramblings over at her blog: Eats Well with Others
For more Meatless Monday recipes, CLICK HERE
Egg Sandwich with Green Bean Slaw Recipe
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 small thinly sliced red onion
- 2 thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 lb. green beans, shaved (I used the slicing attachment for my food processor)
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives (I used spicy marinated olives from Whole Foods)
- 8 slices of bread, toasted
- 4 hard boiled eggs, peeled and sliced
1. Whisk together the feta, lemon juice, and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Toss dressing with the red onion slices, radishes, green beans, and olives.
2. To make the sandwiches, layer a quarter of the green bean slaw and the slices from one hard boiled egg onto 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining bread.