I love bakery muffins, but when you buy them at the bakery they are filled with tons of sugar and butter and TONS of calories. I used to get them all the time on my way to work. The muffin I would get would be GIANT and would leave a grease stain on my napkin! Once I started to change my eating habits, I made it my goal to make muffins at home that were delicious as well as satisfy my love of bakery muffins. My favorite lower calorie muffin I make is a jumbo chocolate zucchini chocolate chip muffin – I’m not joking, you can have one of these every day and still keep on your healthy eating plan.
I’ve purchased one item that has helped me re-create the bakery muffin – I bought a jumbo muffin pan.
I don’t want tiny muffins – and the size of these muffins don’t disappoint. This recipe makes 11 jumbo muffins. You can freeze these for up to 2 months, just defrost on the counter, or heat up in the microwave.
Things I did to lower the calories/make them healthier:
• Didn’t use much oil
• Added yogurt
• Added flax seed
• Added banana and zucchini which helps make these very moist.
• I didn’t put a ton of chocolate chips in ¼ cup still makes it great without adding a whole bag saving lots of calories!
For more Healthy Recipes:
Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Muffins Recipe
|Calories:||256 per serving|
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Cook Time:||20 minutes|
|Total Time:||30 minutes|
- 1 cup unpacked brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg , plus 2 egg whites
- 1 banana , mashed
- 1 6-oz container yogurt (the one I used was vanilla at 90 calories)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 – with the skin in and squeeze out the excess moisture)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
1. In a mixer, mix together the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together.
2. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet batter and mix until incorporated.
3. Spray the muffin tin with cooking spray so they come out easily and fill the muffin pan half way.
4. Bake them at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.