- 1/2 pound thick-cut bacon
- 2 pounds beef cheek
- sea salt , to taste
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 2 onions , peeled and diced
- 1 head garlic, peeled and each clove cut in half
- 2 jalapenos, stemmed and diced
- 2 serranos , stemmed and diced
- 3 bottles Arrogant Bastard ale
- 1 tangerine, juiced and peel reserved
- 2 large, overripe tomatoes, stemmed and diced with juice
- 1 stick cinnamon
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons butter
- creme fraiche
- tortilla chips
- cheddar , grated
- scallions , chopped
- tomato , diced
- jalapenos , minced
- Arrogant Bastard Ale
1. Dice the bacon and cook in a large Dutch oven until golden. Then remove the bacon, leaving in the fat.
2. Dice the beef cheek with the fat attached. Season well with sea salt and fresh black pepper. Add the beef cheek to the Dutch oven and cook until dark golden brown. Remove the beef.
3. Add the onions and garlic, and cook for five minutes or until tender. Add the jalapenos, serranos, beer, beef, bacon, tangerine, tomatoes with juice, and all the spices except for the paprika. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low. Cover the pot and stir every ten minutes for 3 hours. Add water to reach desired consistency.
4. Add the smoked paprika and butter, and season with sea salt and fresh black pepper. Remove the cinnamon stick.
5. Serve with creme fraiche, fresh tortilla chips, guacamole, grated cheddar, chopped scallions, diced tomato, minced jalapenos and (lots of) cold Arrogant Bastard Ale.