- 2 Asian pears
- 1 cup Swedish 1-2-3- Vinegar (see recipe below)
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sambal oelek, or about 6 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantrofinely chopped
- 2 1 ½-2 pound lobsters
- 1 cup Pompeian Koroneiki extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 tablespoon Pompeian Koroneiki extra virgin olive oil
- juice, segments and zest of 1 lime
- 2 sprigs fresh mint, leaves only
- 2 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, leaves only
- 1-2 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons caviar, preferably from California farmed sturgeon (optional)
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 5 white peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 allspice berries
PREPARE THE LOBSTER ROLLS:
Using a mandoline or other vegetable slicer, cut the (unpeeled) pears into paper-thin slices: starting on one side, slice each pear lengthwise down to the core, then turn it around and slice the other half. Put the slices in a small bowl, pour the vinegar over them, and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
Cook the lobsters in boiling water for three minutes. Remove from water and remove shell.
Bring the olive oil, garlic, rice wine vinegar and the stems from the herbs in the herb salad to a low simmer. Add the lobster and poach for 3 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the lobster sit in the oil for another five minutes. Remove from heat, cool and cut into bite sizes
Combine the miso, mayonnaise, lime juice, lime zest, lime segments, sambal oelek, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Add the lobster and tomatoes and toss to mix.
Lay a piece of plastic wrap about 1-inch long on a work surface. Arrange 8 pear slices in two rows down the center of the plastic wrap, overlapping them as necessary, to make a 4x6-inch rectangle. Place a line of the lobster mixture—about 2 tablespoons—across the lower third of the rectangle. Using the plastic wrap to help you, roll up the pear slices around the filling as tightly as possible into a compact roll. Place on a plate, and repeat with the remaining pear slices and filling, to make a total of 4 rolls. Cover and refrigerate. (The rolls can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead. Serve chilled, or bring to cool room temperature before serving.)
PREPARE THE VINEGAR
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and let cool.Pour the vinegar into a jar, seal the jar, and store in the refrigerator.
JUST BEFORE SERVING, PREPARE THE HERB SALAD: Whisk the olive oil and lime juice together in a small bowl. Stir in the herbs and garlic. Using a very sharp knife, cut each roll into 2 or 3 pieces. Place on plates. Arrange the salad next to the rolls, garnish with the optional caviar, and serve.