This is one of the few occasions where ‘fake’ tastes better than the real thing- especially since this recipe has ZERO carbs. My mashed faux-tatoes have all of the creamy, rich flavors of mashed potatoes without a single ounce of guilt. This is a great starch alternative if you’re dieting and are plagued by carb cravings or for anyone who is looking to eat healthier. When pureed, the cannellini beans become very dense and creamy which fills you up and satiates those starchy desires.
Mashed Faux-tatoes Recipe
- ½ head of cauliflower florets
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro or parsley
- ¼ cup grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Steam the cauliflower florets until tender. Meanwhile, on low heat, sauté the garlic in olive oil for one minute. Add the drained cannellini beans and chicken stock. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.
2. Transfer the florets and the cannellini beans mixture into a food processor and pulse until you have the consistency of mashed potatoes. Add the cheese, herbs, salt and pepper and pulse until incorporated. Transfer to a bowl, top with scallions, and enjoy the satisfying, carb-free goodness.