In the summer, my blender gets a lot of use; after all, you get to combine flavors without much work on your end– all in soups, smoothies, sauces, and drinks. When that gets boring, turning to another cuisine can help (especially for smoothies– I don’t believe in the mix-in-all-the-fruit-around philosophy).
For guidance, then, take a look at the lassi. This cold, yogurt-based soft drink packs a load of probiotics into a a smoothie-milkshake hybrid. If you’re not a fan of yogurt, consider trying your hand at horchata, which uses rice, almonds, or sesame seeds for its creamy base.
For more no-cook summer recipes, click here.
No-Cook Recipe: Peach-Ginger Lassi
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tsp. peeled and grated ginger
- 4 peaches, peeled and chopped
- Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- Honey or brown sugar
- Pinch of chili powder, cinnamon, or cayenne (optional)
- Pistachios , for garnish
1. Combine first four ingredients in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. Add honey to taste. If desired, add between a pinch and a teaspoon of chili powder, cinnamon, or cayenne for kick.
2. Add milk or water to adjust thickness.
3. Top with crushed pistachios and serve.