Parsnip Soup with Crispy Shallots and Porcini Mushrooms
|Total Time:||90 minutes|
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil plus 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 1/2 cup reconstituted porcini mushrooms, chopped, with 2 cups soaking water reserved
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped, plus extra finely chopped for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sunchokes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 5-6 shallots, peeled and sliced into thin rings
1. Soak dried mushrooms in water. Once reconstituted, strain, and reserve 2 cups for mushroom stock.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender and heat through for 30 seconds, then remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature and set aside 1/4 of the mushrooms for garnish. Stir in the parsley and tarragon in the rest of the mushrooms. Set aside. Season with salt and pepper, and half the lemon juice.
3. Heat the 1/4 cup oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the turmeric, garam masala, salt, and remaining garlic until fragrant, then add parsnip and sunchokes. Sauté until golden brown. Add the cream, mushroom stock, and 3 cups of water, and bring to a simmer; cook until vegetables are tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the remaining lemon juice.
4. Combine salt and finely chopped parsley and set aside. Heat the 1 1/2 cups olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. When it reaches 220˚F, reduce the heat to low, add the shallots, and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. Sprinkle with the salt-parsley mixture.
5. To serve, place the mushrooms in each bowl. Divide the soup between 6 bowls. Drizzle walnut oil in each bowl and add 1/4 cooked mushrooms and the crispy shallots to garnish.