What says “spring” more than fresh peas and asparagus? Sure, you can buy frozen peas year round, and thanks to Peru, you can buy asparagus year round as well. But these two vegetables are the sweetest and best-tasting when eaten as close to just-picked as possible. Cool-weather crops are starting to show up in the markets, and if you look at where they are coming from, it’s not as far away as from Peru. This means you can enjoy vegetables that are that-much-closer to being “just-picked”, as they have less travel time. This springtime risotto highlights the sweet and fresh flavor of sweet peas and fresh asparagus – mint and lemon zest add the perfect flavors to round out the dish.
Check out these other spring recipes by Kendall Kish:
Spring Pea Risotto Recipe
|Calories:||240 per serving|
|Prep Time:||10 min|
|Total Time:||30 min|
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 5-6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 large shallot , or 2 small, minced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh peas, shelled
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper , to taste
1. In a pot, heat the chicken stock to a simmer.
2. In a large stock pot, or any heavy bottomed pot, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the minced shallots and a pinch of salt, saute until translucent. Add the rice, stir for about one minute until the grains begin to become translucent around the edges.
3. Pour in wine, and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add one ladle of stock, stir frequently until liquid is absorbed. Add another ladle of stock, and stir frequently until the liquid is absorbed again. Repeat this process until almost all the stock has been used, and the rice is cooked but still al-dente. The entire process should take about 20 minutes.
4. About five minutes before the rice is done cooking, stir in the peas and asparagus. Add more chicken stock as necessary to continue cooking the rice. Once the rice is the desired texture, stir in the parmesan cheese, lemon zest, and mint. Season with salt and pepper, serve immediately.