Summer squash sides are a matter of course at this time of year, but just because we practically have them coming out of our ears, doesn’t mean they have to be boring! This summer squash and tomato crumble, with it’s bursts of sweet tomato juiciness and its crispy cheesy topping elevates summer’s most abundant vegetable to a whole new level of delicious.
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
For more Meatless Monday recipes:
Summer Squash and Tomato Crumble Recipe
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb summer squash, diced
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 oz grated gruyere
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Grease a 9-inch baking pan.
2. Melt 2 tbsp butter and then toss together, in a bowl, with the breadcrumbs and parsley. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining tbsp butter. Add the onion and cook for 7-9 minutes or until starting to brown. Stir in the squash and cook for another 4 minutes. Add in the tomatoes and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until heated through. Season to taste with salt.
4. Pour the summer squash/tomato mixture into the baking pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle cheese on top, and then top with breadcrumbs. Bake 30-34 minutes or until golden and bubbling.