The great thing about a bloody mary (aside from its magical healing powers) is its openness to interpretation and improvisation. Like a great jazz set, it can be as fiery or as mellow as you’d like. Here I provide one of my favorite ways to enjoy its vegetal goodness.
Growing up in California, I acquired a love for heat, and have what my boyfriend likes to call an asbestos tongue. It has always been a way for me to keep toasty on chilly days in the city, and reminds me of warm, sunny California. However, for those who like less heat or different herbs, etc…this recipe can also be used as a guideline and adjusted to your own tastes and level of heat.
I use celery salt for the rim, as it has a subtle saltiness and as celery is the Bloody Mary’s most famous garnish, it accents the drink quite well. Lastly, I use tomato sauce in lieu of juice because I find that once the ice, and spirit are added and it’s all given a good shake, your bloody will be at the perfect consistency and not watered down as it would be with juice.
The California Girl in New York Bloody Mary Recipe
|Calories:||123 per serving|
|Prep Time:||10 minutes|
|Total Time:||10 minutes|
- 1-2 dashes Worcestershire sauce (can use vegan)
- 1 tsp horseradish, freshly grated (or use spicy brown mustard if you’ve already got some in your fridge)
- 3 oz tomato sauce
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce
- 1/3 jalapeno , minced
- 1 sprig cilantro , ruff chop
- 2 lemon slices
- 1 lime slice
- Celery salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 3 olives (kalamata or green)
- 1 tbs olive juice
- 1 celery stick
- 1 ½ oz vodka, gin, or tequila
1. On a plate prepare celery salt, and cracked black pepper into a ring shape for the glasses rim.
2. Fill a small cocktail shaker with ice. Pour over 1-½ oz of preferred spirit.
3. Add tomato sauce, hot sauce, horseradish, Worcestershire, jalapeno, olive juice, and cilantro. Squeeze juice of 1 lemon wedge and a few cracks of black pepper into the shaker.
4. Cover the shaker, and give the mixture one good, hard shake. Use squeezed lemon to wet the rim of your glass, and coat with salt and pepper mixture.
5. Pour Bloody Mary mixture into glass, and garnish with remaining lemon wedge, lime wedge, olives, and celery. Enjoy!