When mixed with equal proportions of water, chickpea flour can be an egg-replacer for vegan recipes. Used to make pakoras and papadums prevalent in Indian cooking, this gluten-free flour is high in protein, making it a great base to this warm chickpea and tomato salad.
Warm Chickpea and Tomato Salad
|Calories:||250 per serving|
|Total Time:||1 hour, 10 minutes|
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp berbere or chili spices
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, washed and drained
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped (plus more for garnish)
- juice 1 lemon
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- ½ head of lettuce/, shredded
- 1 small cucumber
- 4 pita pockets
1. Sauté olive oil, onion and garlic together in a medium saucepan for 3 minutes.
2. Add berbere, chickpea flour and lemon zest, and stir for few minutes till the mixture comes together.
3. Add tomato juice and 1 cup water and let it simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Stir in the chickpeas, fresh tomatoes and lemon juice and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix in lemon zest and fresh parsley. Cool to room temperature.
6. To serve, add half of the shredded lettuce to a pita pocket along with a two-inch piece of cucumber and a sprinkling of fresh tomatoes. Top with couple spoonfuls of the cooled chickpea mixture, salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.