Chicken Jollof Rice
- 1/4 cup dende oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 bird’s eye chili, chopped
- 1 large carrot, coarsely shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans, trimmed to 1-inch length
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1. In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high flame in a large pot. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, for about 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the chicken and place it on a platter. Set aside.
2. Chop the onions, bell pepper, chili and carrot and add them to the pan. Sauté until the onions are wilted and translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Stir the rice into the onions and peppers and heat through for another 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and peanut butter to coat the rice and give it a reddish hue. Add the chopped tomatoes and let them cook down for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the curry powder and cinnamon.
4. Return the chicken to the pot and add the green beans. Thinly slice the cabbage and add it also. Season it well with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the pot from the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes. Place the Jollof Rice on a serving platter and serve with sliced hard-boiled eggs and a salad.